Monday, November 12, 2007

To hell and back

Hands down, last week was my worst yet. After my wonderful visit with Emily and Kyler, I cam back reminded that I have no friends here. The first few days I felt lonely and depressed but don't worry, that didn't last long. I discovered I had head lice and was forced to focus my despair on my scalp! How did I avoid head lice as a kid and get it when I am 24! Oh, yeah, I am in a third world country. I don't know when or where exactly I picked up the lice, but I'm sure it came from some kid I was befriending! I called the PCMO (PC doctor) for medication and treated it the same day. That problem solved.
The next day, I had to call the PCMO again, new problem. I had a fever (101.8 and I think my temp runs a little low normally). The PCMO gave me the name of a local doctor so I visited him. After checking my BP, throat, temp, chest and back sounds, he handed me a piece of paper and told me to give it to the woman out front (the office is also a full service pharmacy). "Um, what do I have?" I had to ask. "Malaria." Shouldn't you do a blood test to check for that? I didn't ask out loud. When I finally reached the PCMO the next day, she had me go to the office in Tegus for a blood test. Turned out, I didn't have malaria. I expected as much but it is nice to know that my blood test was normal on all fronts. It may have been a mild case of Dengue (which is also carried and spread by mosquitoes) but my blood was normal so they don't really know what it was/is. I started getting better but woke up Sunday with cold-like symptoms: cough, stuffy nose, all the things I didn't have before. I am happy to report that I feel much better, both physically and mentall, but it was a rough week.
Of course I had to be sick and feel awful the week of my ferria too! There were actually things to do in my town. Although, as far as ferrias go, I don't think mine is that great, there are carnival like activities, boothes of jewelry and other useless trinkets to buy, a mini parade to the Catholic church each afternoon, things like that. When I say "mini" parade, generally there is one car decorated into a float. Each town has their own ferria to celebrate their patron saint. Ours is San Diego (I think!). Of course, I ventured out a few times to watch a little of the commotion, but I couldn't really appreciate it as much as I may normally. I spent a lot of time in bed. Thank goodness for my Ipod. It's probably my favorite thing right now. So yes, I feel much better, just need to kick the last of a scratchy throat and get my energy back.

Things Hondurans (in general, of course) LOVE:
firecrackers (you know, the ones that just go "BOOM"), especially at odd hours of the night/morning
lace
curtains over doorways (it's supposed to give privacy when the door is open)
extended cab pick-ups (and all the variations)
dinamicas (ice breakers and similar activities)
fried food
hard candy (especially suckers)
drinking out of bags

No comments: