Wednesday, February 13, 2008

See you tomorrow...

Funny story. My parents are on their way to visit me. I am very excited to see them and just recently realized just how much time I will be spending with them, in rather close quarters. There two and a half weeks will probably be the most time I have spent with them (consecutively) in several years. Although I used to see them regularly, they were generally just weekend visits. ¡Vamos a Ver! Anyway, I called Monday morning to find out if any last minute details needed to be ironed out. Luckily, I added a, "See you tomorrow!" before hanging up the phone. Dad's response, "No, not tomorrow, the next day." I have been expecting them on the 12th for about a month. My fault completely. Their arrival was on both my calendars for the 12th and that date stuck in my mind for the last month or so. They left WA on the 12th. They arrive today. Whoops, good one Laura!

I don't have much other news other than my puppy has (or had, not sure if they are gone or reproducing) worms. Otherwise, he's doing great. His sister is almost twice his size, mostly in girth. She's gordita, a fatty. The female has always been bigger but I think Bello's worms and exercise to her being tied up inside to eat and sleep may be the root of the difference.

This week marks the start of my "busy season". Classes started at the colegio (high school) on Tuesday and start the 18th in the elementary schools. That means I need to plan and prioritize as I attend program trainings and set up baseball games. Saturday will be my first chance to see how my kids stand up against another team. Granted, Charlie's team in San Luis, Comayagua is new and mine was "established" when I arrived. Still, I haven't seen any other kids play baseball in years. I don't know how many errors, missed grounders, flyballs and wild pitches are normal for 8-12 year old Honduran kids. I am very excited, but nervous about the game. The purpose is to teach kids about teamwork, leadership, etc, and to have fun. I've always had a slight competative edge that I am seriously trying to curb, or at lease hide. Sometimes it is difficult not to get frustrated when I see the play clearly and it's so easy to move your foot to touch the base but the kids tries to throw to first and generally either the throw or catch is less than accurate. This entire experience is a wonderful test of my patience. Between teaching kids how to throw a baseball (which is very different from throwing a soccer ball or rocks), adjusting to "La hora HondureƱa" (everything starting 30-90 minutes late), and learning to entertain myself I should come out the most patient person on the planet. We'll see.

Sorry, no photos this time, I forgot to bring my camera.

No comments: