Sunday, June 1, 2008

Beisbol, beisbol beisbol

4 days spent with 8-12 year olds
2 days of baseball
3 games coached
1 game played
4 missing gloves
2 missing balls
0 missing children
That's right, I am just concluding the most exhausting weekend of the last 11 months. My kids started out a little nervous. The 12 year olds, who went to the tournament last year didn't want a repeat. Instead of losing the first (and only) two games, we won both! After almost 2 hours of rain delay, thanks to a tropical storm from the Pacific, the under-estimated team fromTalanga beat the highly anticipated Siguatepeque in a close 1-0 game. The first batter of the game made it home, the rest was defense. It was intense. I don't know if I can handle much more of this coaching stuff. It is so stressful! : ) We took Copan Ruinas 4-2 in a very wet and rainy afternoon game 2 for both teams. The two wins put us into the semi-final against Morolica on the following morning. They were huge, catcher throwing signs... we were trounced (about 15-2 but they may have had more runs than that, honestly, I don't pay much attention to the score).
The kids were bummed (I think they were dominated by Morolica last year as well,) but a trip to Chiminike, the children's museum, cheered them up quickly. As we waited for the final game to start, some of the coaches and tournament officials played our own game. A short fence was set up in the outfield for the kids so we hit slow-pitched softballs with kids' metal baseball bats and ran a full 90 feet to the bases. It was interesting and some much needed physical exercise after all the rain and coaching. I am very proud of my kids but a little relieved the tournament is over.
The next few days are full of FBT (field based training) planning and searching for host families. I have an HIV/AIDS prevention workshop scheduled but it looks like I will have to move it for another date in June. June 5th is dia de medio ambiente, environment day. One of those days that isn't really a holiday but some of the schools will mention it. I am hoping to at least start the process of building a compost at one of my schools. The hope is that by the end, they will at least learn the difference between organic, biodegradable trash and the rest. Maybe they will even be able to use the soil on the trees they planted on the school grounds next year or start thowing their garbage in the trash instead of on the ground. Hooray for business! Life is much easier when I have things to do.
For now, I await Ally and Jeni's arrival as they travel through Nicaragua. I can't wait!

(photos: the team; Richard el catcher; the team again; Tania, Carlitos y Eduardo; some of the boys; the "seniors" aka 12 year olds who will be too old to play in the tourney next year.)

No comments: