Friday, September 4, 2009

Is this the end?

Is this really how I am finishing my service? That last seven days have been the strangest combination of bad luck. Am I bringing it on myself?

It started last Friday with the iguana in my shower. Saturday was the robbery. Sunday, I realized around 2:00pm that the presentation papers for my HIV talk were at the collegio in an aldea. I needed to bring them with me that evening when I headed to Alice’s site to give the talk with her the next day. I re-made all of them in a slight panic. Monday, Alice and I gave the HIV talk to 9th graders and I can’t think of anything especially weird. Tuesday I shed my first few goodbye tears as one of my third grade classes said their goodbyes. Their mothers (and one father) sat in their children’s classroom as a few of the students passed on all they learned about dental health this year. I did a short presentation to reiterate the importance of tooth brushing and caring for baby teeth. Then, as the students were served a goodbye lunch in my honor, each one passed in front of the class and said what they wished to me. One boy gave me fake flowers. Another brought me corn on the cob. They all had sweet words. They begged me not to go, told me they love me and thanked me for all I taught them. A few just gave me a hug but no words came. As all 46 of them took their turn, my cheeks began to hurt from smiling so long. It is hard to respond to 8 and 9 year olds telling you they love you and begging you not to leave. “I have to go, my family misses me.” was all I could really say. I guess the weird thing that day was standing around during recess and realizing the teachers were discussing the reason we have pubic hair (to divert sweat). One of many conversations I passively listened to, curious about my teachers’ thoughts. In the afternoon I got my phone back and once again could communicate.
Wednesday started pretty well, I observed some of my teachers in their classrooms, a friend stopped by my house for lunch. A little before bedtime, I tried to climb into my hammock with my book, a bowl of popcorn and a glass of wine. I also had my cell phone to try calling Traci back. Somehow, as I crawled into the hammock my cell phone slipped out of my hand directly into my wine glass. Busted. I am incomunicada for the second time in less than a week! I was connected to the world for an entire day! That was unfortunate. Luckily, I think I have a cell phone I can borrow for my remaining 3 weeks, starting tomorrow. Hopefully I don’t break, lose or have this one stolen.
Today I lost the dog. He was running beside me from one of my aldea schools and all the way through town. I stopped to have my tires filled and see if my cell phone could be repaired. I thought he would noticed I stopped and wait for me as he usually stays within a few feet of me. With air in my tires I looked around and didn’t see Bello. I assumed he continued on and would be waiting for me at the front door. When I arrived home he wasn’t there. I headed back down the street and asked a few shop owners if they had seen my dog (he’s well known here). Nothing, no one saw him. I made a few loops, calling his name. I was worried someone stole him (I have been warned countless times that he will be stolen asked to gift him to everyone and their cousin.) I needed to get to the school so I headed home again. Sure enough, there he was. I have no idea where he had been but at least he made it home. A few hours later, as I left my house to visit various people and straighten out plans for the next few days (no phone, must visit) I encountered a school bus. As I passed the bus a young child stepped off and was greeted by her mother. I walked past the bus and headed past the church. Suddenly, something bumped me from behind. I WAS HIT BY A SCHOOL BUS! REALLY? It barely bumped me but still… I was startled and ran a few steps to keep from being killed! I don’t think the driver ever noticed; and this guy drives kids around?! Who gets hit by a school bus? I guess the same girl who gets shot in the head with a BB gun and goes through phones faster than I update my blog.

It has been seven days. I really hope this was just one strange week and the those to come are less eventful.

1 comment:

Callie said...

My goodness...what a week. I hate to admit it, but I did laugh at the "getting hit by the bus" part. Only you! Hope your last couple weeks go well. Miss you!