Friday, September 28, 2007

US soil

Yesterday, I got to visit the US, well, US soil at least. We went to the US embassy yesterday for Swear-in. Yes, I am now officially a Peace Corps Volunteer. Ridiculous that I have been here for nearly 3 months and it is just now official. The swearing in ceremony felt a little like high school graduation but ended up being rather anti-climatic. We were fed, met the embassador and spent some time swimming, playing volleyball, tennis and basketball at his house, then headed back to say pack and goodbye to our Santa Lucia families.

I am in a strange reality here. During the ceremony yesterday, I watched a camera guy scroll through his ipod in his Chuck Taylors and fro-ed hair held back by his sunglasses. I wanted to take a photo but didn't have the opportunity. He could have been sitting on cement steps in Seattle, chilling, listening to mp3s, instead of in the emabassy in Honduras. Sometimes, this place doesn't feel much different from life in the states, very modern. "Normal." Other times it feels like a strange combo of the 1800's and 1945, a whole other world. When I see a campesino with his oxen hauling the day's work, or a mother cutting the lawn with a machete, a 4 kids on an old bicycle (yes, 4 boys on 1 bike), it just doesn't feel the same. I am living in a strange reality where everyone has a cell phone but they mow the soccer field by hand (occasionally). Technology exists here but they seem to have picked and chosen which amenities the use. You can buy an microwave and a blender but cook food over a fire. I still don't get it but I'm learning...
much love to all

No comments: