Saturday, October 6, 2007

Mostly Photos

One of my favorite things about this country, are all the people who wear T-shirts you know they don´t understand. Like this guy. ¨Deez Nuts¨ eh? The back had a picture of Mr. Peanut. If this isn´t a college intramural sports shirt... By the way, this was the guy taking money on the bus from Cantarranas to Valle/Tegus. He´s a big guy and usually wears a yellow shirt. Sometimes, we were lucky enough to catch him wearing this one. Luckily I had my camera the first time and thank you Kyler for your excellent photography skills. Sometimes you feel torn between relief that they probably aren´t trashy enough to wear that shirt on purpose, but sadness that they are willing to wear something when they are clueless to the meaning. Like the older couple walking down the street, the woman wearing a shirt stating "I´m the bitch your husband is sleeping with". In that case, it was in a PCV´s site and he decided to fill the woman in. They were pretty embarrassed. Although that´s rough, enough people do understand English to catch on. Sad, but funny.
This is Adalberto, our driver for FBT (field based training). He was great. Greated everyone with a quick "hola joven", "hello youngster" despite the fact that he just turned 25 and is younger than many of the people he greets. We all started adopting his superfast way of talking. Made those last few weeks of training much easier to deal with.
It is hard to get pictures of Tegucigalpa because it is highly discouraged to bring valuables unless necessary and we definitely are not encouraged to show cameras, phones, etc. in public. Several of the new PCVs took a little time to hang out in Tegus befor heading to our sites. The read building is a pulperia (sort of like a convenient store) . The picture below is a view of Tegus from the roof of a hotel. To me, these pictures are a small snapshot of Honduras, very diverse, but all sort of the same. A strange intersection of 3rd world living trying to cross over into 1st world technology. The one thing you don`t really see in the pictures is the garbage. To me, one of the absolute most frustrating things about this country is the garbage, EVERYWHERE. You see people toss trash out bus windows, drop it on the ground then walk over it. They think nothing of it. I have ventured to tell a few people here that I dislike the garbage. They all agree but apparently it doesn`t bother them that much because no one seems to do much about it. Even when they have to pick it up themselves, they still litter like the world is a trash can. Each morning, when the kids arrive at school, they help clean. The pick up the garbage they tossed on the ground the day before. They sweep and mop the floors. 5 minutes later, I watch a girl finish eating a sucker and toss her stick on the floor of her own classroom. I just don´t understand. I am trying to lead by example, and ask the kids to use the basura when I catch them, but it´s a big job. A few towns are making a small effort by putting garbage cans around town but the effort is futile in some places where there is not garbage pick up. Luckily my town does have garbage pick up, although I have no idea where it goes. In many towns, you either have to burn your garbage, compost what you can and often, people just drive it to another place and dump it on the side of the road.
I have officially lived in Talanga for one week. The green and yellow house is where I live with my host family. In perspective, it´s a very nice house although last night I discovered that I have a cockroach issue in my room. I had seen one until last night when I killed 5, then another this morning.
My room is separate from the house, just behind it. Yes, that is a picture of a chicken in the doorway of my bedroom. I was actually in my room when I took the photo, and yes, it is a regular occurance. I think we have 4 or 5 chickens and a rooster. Yes, I wake to the rooster every morning. Sometimes, a nice alarm a few minutes before mine goes off. Other days, it is an unwelcomed 3:00 am disturbance. Such is life.
This road was just resurfaced this week. Yes, this is an after picture. The daily heavy rains create deep ditches through the roadways. Since this is the rainy season, I`m guessing the trenches will be back before long. It`s an odd change, as much as I hated the rain in Tacoma, I hope for it here. I anxiously await the downpour that brings slightly cooler weather and many of the mosquitos hide. Mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos. Without a doubt, the most miserable aspect of Talanga, and probably Honduras in general, at least for me. Luckily, Talanga does not currently have a Malaria or Dengue problem although it is likely just a matter of time before we do. Dengue exists in many of the surrounding areas and in Tegus. Since a large number of people travel to Tegus to work each day, Dengue usually transfers through them. The damn mosquitos bite them in Tegus, then a mosquito here bites them, then another person, and BAM! we have dengue. Hopefully, that isn´t the case. It helps when people clean their pilas too, but that´s another story. I will get a picture of a pila up there soon.

Here is another road near my house, and yes, that is a huge drop-off in the middle of the road. What´s the difference between a huge ledge and a huge pothole? Either way, every car has to take the same path.
Above is the main street in my town by Parque Central. No, the yellow bus is not going to the school, but to Tegus. sometimes, the buses even have curtains, it´s great. hahaha!

I have also included a few pictures of the prettier aspects of my town, Parque central. The blue building is the Alcladia (mayor´s office) where I work (for now, in the afternoons). The yellowish building is the Catholic church in the main square. The last one is the always locked playground for kids under age 8. Obviously, there is a reason it´s locked, all the toys are looking a little sketchy. Yes, that is a swing set in the forground, a tire swing with one side resting on the turf in the background and what I believe was at one time a merry-go-round.

No comments: