Sunday, October 14, 2007

Where in the US will strangers join you on a run while everyone else thinks you are INSANE because you like to exercise?

Sorry, no pictures this time because the computer won´t read my camera. That´s just the way things go, you take what you can and try not to worry about the rest. I will try to continue posting pictures when possible.
The big news this week: I have friends. Don´t judge me since they are all between about 6 and 12 years old, like I said, I´ll take what I can get. The good thing about working in the schools as a foreigner, kids flock to you just to hold your hand and listen to you talk, probably because it sounds funny.
I took a leap of faith and went for a run by myself for first time in three months. Don´t worry Mom, I checked with my host family about where to go and if it was safe. As it turns out, the safest place to go is up the side of a mountain to ¨Cerito¨, a lookout over the entire valley. I was a little nervouse since I didn´t know the road above my house and we are hounded constantly about safety and security. My solo run lasted about 5 minutes. As I reached the top of the first hill, a boy of about 10 started running after me. Not in a threatening way, but chasing me as a puppy chases it´s owner on a bicycle, with a big grin. I offered for him to come and by the time I reached the next house (about minute later) three girls ran from their yard to join. The youngest, Stefany Michella, looks like a Honduran version of Stephanie Tanner (yes, I mean the little girl on Full House) when she was about 6 and missing her front teeth. The older two girls are probably 8 or 9, and only the boy wore shoes. I was a little embarrassed at how easily these kids kept up as we climbed the hills and they led me exactly where I wanted to go, to a beautiful view of the city just before dusk. As we scrambled over boulders, through mud and horse manure, down loose rock, I cautioned them, "Cuidado." I realized instantly that I was the one who needed to be careful. While I skidded down parts of the hills and nearly fell a time or two, the barefoot kids nimbly navigated the loose rock. When I ran the same route a few days later, 3 of the 4 kids joined me again, and again, kept up quite well. Although I still miss running by myself, it´s comforting to have people there with me. Kids are great running partners, they don´t expect you to talk to them, they will keep going as long as you continue to run and they always want to know when we can go again.

I am definitely learning to appreciate the little things. A side from making friends with elementary school kids, I love finding good English shows on TV. I watched about 3 episodes of Da Ali G Show yesterday and was Exstatic to catch the end of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, in English. Finding whole wheat bread and skim milk made my day. What can I say, some days are rough, but I´m learning how to truly appreciate what I can.

No comments: