Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thanks Marta

Marta (my sister) made a good point. The perception of saving for the future is what is missing here. Yes, I know, the US has a ridiculously high rate of credit card and other debt because: we "need" it now! From what I have heard, credit and debt is also terrible here. From my observations, I think credit cards are more of an issue in the big cities (Tegus and SPS). In smaller towns, people don't usually have credit cards, but many stores do run credit, the original kind where they keep a tab and you pay what you can when you can. It's really just the facad that is missing. The other day I made a cake with my old host family and had to bring the flour. the father didn't get paid Sunday, therefore, he wasn't a source of funding until the next time, hopefully in a few days. In the US, we can appear to have money and live somewhat comfortably without a cent to our names, it's really quite a phenomenon. Oh the beauty of credit cards, reliable pay checks, and supportive parents. Gotta run, love and miss you.

No comments: