Monday, April 6, 2009

Thumbs Up

Most weekends I spend at least one day playing soccer with a group of women/girls (ranging from about 13 to 31) from in and around Talanga. Supposedly, the “team” is in a league in Tegucigalpa and we were to travel there each Sunday to play (along with several other women who live in Tegus). In reality, I think I played in Tegus twice, arrived in the capital for the game to be cancelled because there wasn’t a field available and missed one game. We end up playing most games against other small communities and aldeas near us. Aside from a few decently talented (but generally unfit and/or lazy) players, the level of play is usually pretty low, like a “rec” team in the States. I continue to play for various reasons; they invite me, it is a chance to socialize with people other than teachers and students at school, it gets me out of the house on days I have no other reason to leave, it’s good exercise and one of the only opportunities to exercise with other people (I am sure I could find a young man willing to accompany me running but I generally turn down that offer.) Last time I played was one of the worst days I have recently had. Nothing especially bad happened that day but it was a day I had not planned on playing. I planned to be on the beach hanging out with my brother and sister-in-law and getting to know my nephew again. Unfortunately two of the three were sick and they had to postpone their trip. While it was the best decision for them to stay home, it was still a bummer. As I was surrounded by giggling 19 year old girls, I felt completely depressed. There is nothing like being around other people enjoying themselves to make you realize the extent of loneliness.  
Yesterday as we arrived at the field in Rio Dulce, I felt none of this. Since most of our games are in small communities, not many people go to watch and I generally don’t know anyone in the crowd. Somehow, they all seem to know at least my name by the end of the first half. I guess that is the result of being the only gringa playing and one of about 3 in the area. Rio Dulce is also an aldea of Talanga but more importantly, it is one of the communities I work in regularly. My original baseball team is there and I am currently doing dental hygiene in the school and kindergarten. We changed into our uniforms and walking onto the field, I saw several familiar faces. Baseball boys. More accurately, most of them soccer players who occasionally play baseball. It was really nice to feel I had true supporters outside the soccer team. We played against the championship team of the Tegucigalpa league. Rumor has it that they are the U18(ish) national selection. Whether this is true, I have no idea but they were hands down the best team we have played. They maintained positions, didn’t play bunchball and passed between themselves. Somehow we won 2-1, goals off a free kick and counter-attack breakaway. It was probably the best I have seen our team play and the best I have personally played since being here.
Toward the end of the first half, I heard my name called. While I generally ignore male voices yelling my name from the sidelines, I knew this one came from the baseball boys. I turned to look and I saw Juan smile and give me a thumbs up. It may have been the proudest moment of my service. I internally beamed at being praised by 11 and 12 year olds. After the game, one of the coach’s friends (aka our supporters) hollered, “How many goals did Laura miss?!” “Three.” said Richard Noe grinning, one of my baseball veterans. Great, someone was counting. And yes, they were solid opportunities I blew (Oops! That’s why I don’t play forward!)
Does pride and joy in praise from a couple of kids indicate my lack of social interaction, lack of feedback or was it feeling accepted and integrated into the community? Probably, all of the above. I will find out in the next few weeks if it has any impact on my relationship with the kids at school or success getting kids to show up to baseball practice. For now, I will revel in the thumbs up from a kid I desperately want to play baseball regularly (he is really fast and seems to have a good attitude.)

No comments: