Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My first visitor

I apologize for skipping over the details last time but here’s the rundown. Traci’s visit was excellent, although short. Between me attending a required meeting and her traveling from San Pedro Sula, we lost the first day. We had a plan for a few of my friends to meet her for dinner until I could get back from my meeting. I panicked briefly after receiving two messages asking “where is your sister, I can’t find her!” Initially, I thought she was abducted or something after arriving in Tegus. Rachel calmed my nerves by pointing out the likelihood that she was still on the bus. If she missed the one she intended, she may have had to wait awhile for the next. Buses often run on “Honduran time” also, which means a 2:00 bus may not leave until 2:30 or 3:00, maybe even later. Then again, it could leave at 1:50, you never know. In the end, she was fine. I forgot to warn her about “Honduran time” prior to her visit and she had to get on a later bus which, of course, left an hour behind schedule. Luckily, it all worked out.

We spent the first night together in Tegus with a few of my friends here. The next morning we took a bus back to Talanga to drop off her luggage and all of the wonderful things she brought me! A few Christmas presents, food and some items I had left home can really make a PCV’s day, or month. Any one of those things is pretty amazing, you can’t even imagine how excited I still am about all of it. I pushed it all way to enjoy later since I had the pleasure of my sister’s company. Now, I am enjoying the things she brought such as wine, my favorite sweatpants, a sweatshirt, slippers, books, and yes, chocolate! I love my family!
The pit stop in Talanga was brief, we spent just a few short hours unloading and repacking for a weekend trip to Yuscaran, El Paraiso. 1 ½ hours back to Tegus, then another 2 hours to Yuscaran for their feria, plenty of bus time. In Yuscaran, we enjoyed a visit to the local museum, an old mansion built during the peak of the town’s mining era and regional importance, a tour of the Guaro factory (a vodka like alcohol, the local brew: cheap and potent), and a little burro polo. Yes, burro polo, like polo on horses, but with donkeys. I finally got to ride a donkey! Don’t worry, Traci took plenty of pictures. Of course, between donkey riding experience, and beating the crap out of their donkeys, the Hondurans demolished the Peace Corps team. Despite the loss, it was quite entertaining. I now fully understand the meaning behind the phrase “stubborn as an ass”. In the evening, several of us saw our first, and likely last, Cock Fight. It was bloody. I was a little bored until I watched the owner suck the blood out of his roosters face and blow it on the ground. A drop landed on my arm. "It's ok, I eat chickens, it's no different." The sucking of the blood was a little much.

We made it back to Talanga to spend a few busy days in my sight. Although she hasn’t played baseball since about 5th grade, she got to test her skills with my team of “8-12” year olds. Unfortunately, I am discovering that my best players are 13 and 14 and therefore ineligible for the Peace Corps League in April and May. Vamos a ver. She also witnessed my amazing teaching skills as she helped teach English to “first graders” (aka whoever shows up to the first grade classroom that day, most of them around 5 or 6 but they probably range from 4 to 9). She also experience one of the biggest issues for PCV’s in Honduras, getting people to show up to meetings. Hondurans are very nice. I am appreciative of this trait but sometimes it leads to problems. People want to be nice so they say they want to help with things and participate, but when it comes to showing up, sometimes they just don’t.

Like I said, the visit was short, and after teaching English in the morning, we were on another bus heading to the airport. I really appreciated her visit and am doing surprisingly well in the aftermath… not too depressed or lonely. I think having my own house (and SPEAKERS!) makes a big difference. It’s nice to have my own space to come and go as I please and just chill out without worrying about other people. If I wasn’t selfish before, I think I am becoming more so, rarely having to consider other people as I come and go, but that’s another story. Until next time…

No comments: