Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Who gets shot?

Some of you have heard this story, but for the rest, it happened about a week and a half ago.
Yes, I got shot. In the head. By a BB gun. Yes, I am laughing about it. Who does that? Who gets shot with a BB and doesn't even realize what it is? I was sitting against a lamppost in the parque central, about 7-7:30pm, integrating, talking to a Honduran guy. I was thinking about going home because I was cold but hadn't found a break in the conversation to do so. All of a sudden something hit me in the back of the ear, right where my ear connects to my head. I thought I got caught in the crossfire of kids throwing rocks at each other. They do that. We (the kids I had been talking to and I) looked all over the ground for a rock but couldn't find one. I could feel a little bump behind my ear but I thought it was a blood vessel or some part of my body swelling up. When I felt it, I saw blood on my fingers. We walked across the street to a pulperia (like a convenient store) to get something to clean up the blood. The pulperia owner came around from behind the counter to look. "You didn't get hit with a rock, there is a BB stuck in your head!" Awesome.

There are still a few booths up with carnival games and food from the feria. I don't know if the attendants got bored and decided to take a shot directly at me, if they were shooting at something else, if it was an accident altogether, or if it was a very long ricochet. I have no idea and probably never will. We spent about 2 hours looking for an open doctor's office or someone who would see me. Not just the guy I had been talking to and I, but his entire family came along (whom I had never met previously)! The PCMO (PC Dr.) wanted me to go to Tegus so she could deal with it. The problem was getting to Tegus. Traveling at night is not the safest thing to do so everyone is hesitant. PC could send someone to get me if no one in my site could take me, I just have to tell them to do so. The problem was getting a straight answer. Everyone was trying to be helpful, but sometimes, that doesn't result in much actual help. I felt a little left out of the entire process, like a bystander. It's my freaking head! My frustration with running around town and having to ask the PCMO to wait every time she called was greater than my pain. Finally, someone suggested I go to the RedCross office and have them take me in the ambulance. I didn't need an ambulance, but if it was a ride to Tegus, I'll take it. I stopped to get my toothbrush since I would not be back until the next day. About 3 blocks from my house, we got out of the car, again. "Where are we? I asked" "La doctora." We found one. The PCMO had asked to speak to the doctor if we found one before they did anything. Despite this request, the doctora removed the BB. Just then, the concerned PCMO called, again. I ended up with a stitch or two behind my ear and was allowed to stay in Talanga for the night. (It doesn't meet the 4 stitch rule, but does having a foreign object removed boost the value?) Luckily, I bought a bed Thursday and didn't have to sleep on the floor again.

Yes, I kept the BB, at first to show the PCMO. Now it resides in my journal. I had to wait to share this ridiculous story until AFTER Traci's (hopefully) successful visit. Who gets shot in the head with a BB gun? I wasn't even doing anything wrong and there were kids playing all over the park!

Love and miss you. Yes, I am fine. As if the Hondurans didn't already think I was crazy, now they probably think I am completely nuts, laughing as I have a bullet stuck in my head!

No comments: